View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #35
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
But if the learning is in an environment saturated with an attitude of moral equivalence to what purpose is the learning? (btw, this is not a rhetiorical question, although it could be.) Within my experience better debate and dialogue and even learning (if by learning you mean acquisition of knowledge about positions revealed through more debate and dialogue) does not necesarily lead to a more significant achivement for the individuals involved. DO you think this is sometimes true?
Sure, it could be. I can't intelligently speak to how well others learn in that environment. While many take the position of moral equivalence, what is important, in the end, is what I took from the debates and dialogues. I had my beliefs challenged in ways I had never even considered before. As a result, I learned far more than I ever would have surrounded by people that agreed with me.

As far as "leading to more significant achievement," you will have to expand on what you mean. If you mean learning more doesn't necessarily mean you will achieve more in the world, then of course I agree. I don't even think it is disputable. I don't know why that is particularly important to focus on, though. Education and learning are among the very few things we take with us to the next life. We can't take along our "achievements."
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote