View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
A: I think it is a real gripe. Perhaps I am more sensitive about this issue than conservatives precisely because so many messages that come out of the church/BYU appear to tacitly support the Republican party (despite the many other messages of neutrality).

B: I think Romney has a great shot at the nomination. Who has a better shot at this point? Certainly not Giuliani, Santorum, Allen, Rice, McCain (I don't believe the southern wing of the party would ever support him given past statements on abortion, etc.). Romney is in GREAT position right now to take the nomination.
Well, culturally, many members of leadership do agree with the politics of the Republican Party even if the organization maintains a stance of neutrality. The leaders, as individuals, of the general organization of the Church will never generally support the Democratic Party until its economic policies change as well as other matters that affect the Church. Or our membership becomes extremely poor. If I were a liberal, I wouldn't get too upset what the politics of my leaders were, as I look to them for spiritual guidance, not political leadership. In fact, knowing Faust is more liberal does allow me to give pause to some of the liberal propositions from time to time.

And I have no idea who has the funding and where the allegiances break down. Usually the nomination is dependant upon funding.