View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
As I have stated, due process is the linchpin of all of the other natural rights. It is the gatekeeper. If it goes, so too go the others since they may all be taken away without a fair hearing.

Because due process is a natural right, people do not need to be a part of our social contract to receive it. As the champion of natural rights, we, of all countries, should be happy to afford them due process.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not all of our natural rights. The founders knew this as well, noting that those rights were "among" other natural rights.
WHat process is due, from a natural rights perspective? This sounds circular to me.

Do you not agree that members of a social contract may agree to limit one or more natural rights? If so, then are you saying that we are required to grant natural rights to those not part of our social contract even if we have agreed to a limit on those same rights?

I gather your assertion of the founder's commitment to DP as a natural right is supported by certain of the bill of rights? You may tell me that this is obvious, but help an old guy out; where is this obvious fact set forth?