View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If you wish to have a civil discussion, please don't distort what I post.

I do not draw a comparison between a driver's license and due process. They are not the same. My illustration of a driver's license was to describe what a privilege is.

Either I'm unclear or you're purposefully distorting what I'm posting.

Contracts between persons is not tantamount to government. You can say that, but it doesn't make it so.

The converse is how I see it. A government granted right is the concept that God ordained the King and bestowed certain rights upon the King to bestow upon those whom He pleases. That's a government created right.

If a social contract emerges from persons, those are "negotiated rights", not government rights.

And then we have limited natural rights, those emerging from birth.

Due process doesn't exist every where and thus in my book isn't a natural right because unless it exists universal, it's not natural. Due process is a negotiated right. Only those persons who participate in the negotiations, whose parents bestow it, or agree to them by contract, are entitled to them. Interlopers are not entitled to negotiated rights, unless we unilaterally and gratuitiously decide to bestow them. But they are not inherent.
I misunderstood what you wrote with driver's licenses. A product of reading quickly.

If a natural right isn't a natural right until it is universally accepted, then there are no natural rights. Nothing is universally accepted.

Your version of what constitutes government rights works if the government in question is a monarchy. In a democracy, the social compact IS the government. We agree what government is and what it isn't. That said, our rights do not flow from that compact. They are natural (including our right to rebel and create a new government). We do not "bestow" those rights, to interlopers or anyone else. They are inherent. The fact that much of the world doesn't adhere to that premise doesn't mean the rights are not natural rights, it means much of the world is violating the natural rights of others.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote