View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Saying it is a "right under our contract with ourselves" is the same thing as saying it is a right that flows from government (which is our contract with ourselves).

I never argued due process was a "right in all relationships." I did argue it was a natural right we have that must be observed before other natural rights (such as life, liberty and property) may be infringed upon. Without due process, the other natural rights are no more than a "privilege." All natural rights are inetricably connected to the natural right of due process. Comparing it to a driver's license is absurd.
If you wish to have a civil discussion, please don't distort what I post.

I do not draw a comparison between a driver's license and due process. They are not the same. My illustration of a driver's license was to describe what a privilege is.

Either I'm unclear or you're purposefully distorting what I'm posting.

Contracts between persons is not tantamount to government. You can say that, but it doesn't make it so.

The converse is how I see it. A government granted right is the concept that God ordained the King and bestowed certain rights upon the King to bestow upon those whom He pleases. That's a government created right.

If a social contract emerges from persons, those are "negotiated rights", not government rights.

And then we have limited natural rights, those emerging from birth.

Due process doesn't exist every where and thus in my book isn't a natural right because unless it exists universal, it's not natural. Due process is a negotiated right. Only those persons who participate in the negotiations, whose parents bestow it, or agree to them by contract, are entitled to them. Interlopers are not entitled to negotiated rights, unless we unilaterally and gratuitiously decide to bestow them. But they are not inherent.