View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend ride report

Its been a awhile since we've done a weekend ride report. I'll give it a go, since a weekly saturday ride is all I'm able to do these days due to cold and darkness.

We were able to organize a good size group ride on Saturday. All skill and experience levels were present, which as a lot of you know, can make for a somewhat scary pace line. 8 of 9 were LDS, which was kind of cool.

Five miles into the ride, one guy caught the back wheel of someone who had braked slightly and went down hard on his right hip and shoulder. Fortunately he didn't break a clavicle, as he is a fairly big fella and we were moving along at about 22-23 mph at the time. Bike was rideable with only a slight wobble in the front wheel.

Our ride was about 42 miles total with almost 3,000 feet of climbing. The two bigger guys that came took awhile to finish the big climb. Once we re-grouped at the top, those 2 took off downhill and after an 8 mile screamin' downhill we didn't see them again. The last 12 miles were fairly flat with only a slight 1-2% downgrade, but we just could not catch them. Our little pace line was clipping along at 30-32 mph for most of it. They said they were cruising along at 28-29 mph with just the two of them, but they had such a huge leadout after the downhill they were out of reach.

On the last little riser about 2 miles from the finish I got dropped like a rock. I hit the base of the hill with my HR at 174 and it all went downhill from there. So I got a little alone time to finish. It was good for me to be able to quietly ponder the ride and the beauties of the earth, and not have others to bother me as I dry heaved after the sprint to the top of the hill.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote