View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #22
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I've enjoyed indy/intl/art house films since I was an undergrad and go to 8-10 films a year. Last night I screened the Australian film "Look Both Ways," and thought it was excellent. In fact, it's a great intl film for someone new to the indy film scene (pun!). It's deep, interesting, well-acted, innovative, and in English (of the Aussie variety). If it's playing near you, I encourage you to take a chance on it. Some of my favorite dates with the wife have been screenings at the indy theatre followed by a sandwich and game of chess at the deli (yes, we really are like THAT!).

Those of you who like Woody's films and some of the Japanese and Chinese crossover films are really missing out.

BYU has a great intl film scene despite the mullahs. Many humanities profs and students go and RM's like to see films from the countries they served in. Anyone whose gone to a few films at BYU's International Cinema knows that the whole Rodin thing was ironic on so many levels.
Can you suggest a list of those that you have liked and/or would recommend? I'm always up for something out of the mainstream or ordinary. But the problem is, honestly there's so much crap out there that it's hard to sift through sometimes. I'm not interested in what I like to call postmodernism run amok. I still like a good story, especially one with human themes driving it.