View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I find that funny because, in the end, that is ultimately what seales his fate.

One thing that I don't think has been discussed, but is what REALLY did him in, was the fact that he had SO MANY players turn on him. Why do you think one of the first things that Bronco did was establish the "fully invested" philosophy? It is because that was one of the biggest problems with the team when he took over.

I think that all of those points that Goat and Jay mentioned are what led to the players quitting on him, but I also think that had the players not quit on, he would have won more games and he likely would have kept his job.

Team unity is the most overrated concept in sports, IMHO.

Show me a team that's not unified going into a season. I can show you quotes from the papers that said "this is the most unified we've ever been. last year we had guys doing their own thing, but now we all hang out together and there's a great team feeling". I can show you this quote every August going back to the late 80's when I started following the Cougs religiously.

Also, show me a team that's unified when you've had three losing seasons in a row or at the end of the season when the team has underachieved drastically.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote