View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What was Gary Crowton's biggest coaching fuax pas?

I know this is meanspirited yadda yadda, but I am not a warm and cuddly guy.

What comes to my mind:
Flying into Reno the day of the game and how that reflected how prepared the Y was to play.
HOT OFF THE AP WIRE: BYU goes for it again against AF on 4th down and the Falcons score another TD!!
Not recruiting a JC QB after the 2002 QB debacle.
The 2002 QB debacle.
2002 in general. In hindsight that was a piss poor season, amazing what a good year before can soothe the wounds.
Having John Beck roll out and throw the ball, which was intercepted, against Stanford in 2003. That was the straw that stirred my drink.
The amount of carries for Curtis Brown against UNLV in 2004.
Hiring IndyCoug to defend him to the death.

I think I would say the largest game day faux pas was the Reno game. Followed closely by ignoring Curtis Brown against UNLV.

The worst call I say was the one with Beck against Stanford in 2003.

The worst position management was the handling of qb spanning all of 2002 and into 2003. It ended when he picked Beck as his starter after spring ball in 2004, but by then too much damage was done and he was relying upon a kid not prepared for the schedule ahead.

Great guy and I could not be happier for his success at Oregon, but I am much happier with the state of things now.
The QB carousel was horrible. Going for it on 4th down, no matter how ridiculous of a situation they were in, also annoyed me. "It's 4th and 37 from the BYU 6 and... they are going for it??? Kirk, have you ever seen anything like this?" To which the other announcer would say something like, "Well, Crowton is a genius. You can't question a football genius."

The WORST, though, for me was Stanford. "I wanted to win by 9 instead of just 2."
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote