View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The reality is that he was the best BYU could hire. That is what BYU really is as a "program." Kyle Whittingham was far more qualified, IMO, and he really wasn't that great of a pick up for the Utes. The fact that after what they accomplished they were left to their own DC says a lot about their program and the fact that he chose Utah over BYU says a lot about BYU's.

I also agree that tutoring is overrated. However, the ability to improve and adapt are not. Bronco needs 8 wins this year and then I think 2008 will basically tell us what the guy can and will do.
He wasn't the best BYU could hire.

1. Norm Chow. If BYU admin swallows their pride, send out a caravan of top ranking officials to beg forgiveness for the way we treated him, offer him $800K and a bigger pool for assistant coaches salaries, and I think there's a better than 50/50 chance he takes the job.

2. KW. He's had some stumbles at Utah and he will continue to do so. Utah is a small fish in a small pond and will never sustain long term football success. KW is a darn solid coach, and I believe he will overachieve. But, overachievement at Utah may look like failure to BYU fans and to Utes with stars in their eyes over UM's brief era.

3. Non-LDS. Why not?

4. Any number of LDS assistants with ties to the Lavell era that I would have taken over an unproven Bronco with shaky defensive philosphy and no experience recruiting.

All that said, I'm still hoping Bronco grows into the job. He shows signs that he has the right personality to handle the head job, and he's got a loyal fan base behind him already. He needs some wins right now to maintain it though--which I think he'll get.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote