View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
hoya, you're a lawyer. the actions of other lawyers surprises you? if VCB behaved in any way to benefit the community--now THAT would be surprising.
I don't actually see what they are doing as being irrational or wrong at all. If the shoe were on the other foot and this firm were wanting out of its lease early, the church would not be telling them that they could do so free from consequence. Does anyone think that when persons or entities want to be relieved of their obligations under contracts with the church that they church just lets them out for nothing?

If a client comes into me telling me that someone wants out of a contract, I first tell them that they don't have to allow that, and then tell them that if they do allow it they should get something for it because they are losing something of value.

This is like the guy who holds out and doesn't want to move when a new highway is needed through his living room. Is he crazy to not care that the public good is served by it? If the church wants out it should buy its way out or wait for the lease to expire. If this were WalMart doing this everyone would be saying "yeah! stick it to the man!" Why does it matter that it is the church?