View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #116
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I still don't like that we're withholding blessings from kids living with gay couples b/c it still sends the same message: we don't want you here -- you or your kids.

Here's what I wish the Church would have said before any of this:

"We welcome all people to worship with us. To those who keep the commandments but feel same-sex attraction, know that you are not sinful because of it. We welcome you to partake in all the blessings and ordinances of the gospel. To those who feel same-sex attraction and who act on it, whether in committed relationships or not, we welcome you to join us -- your families, your children, and your friends -- in our worship services and Church family. As with any person who breaks the law of chastity, however, doing so could subject you to Church discipline. But as we are all sinners, we hope you join us as we strive to follow Christ's teachings. To gay couples who have children, we quote the Savior: 'Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.'"
"As always, local leaders may request further guidance in particular instances when they have questions." Here's your loophole even for kids living primarily with same sex parents. Those who are friendly with the church and are attending or at least encouraging their child to actively participate are likely going to get permission once the local leaders make their case, IMO. I think they've essentially reduced it down now to where it effectively only applies to same gender parent households where the parents are completely unfamiliar with the church to begin with or are not friendly with it, in which case they wouldn't have been asking for their child to get blessed or baptized anyway.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-13-2015 at 07:34 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote