View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Awesome story BlueK.

People don't know what to say, or sometimes they say stupid things.

We had another woman in our ward who became active after not being active for 20 years, suffered a tough illness for a long time and was out, and when she was well and came back, someone made a snide remark about her being gone. And boom, she's done.

FWIW, I just looked her up on FB. We actually have a common FB friend. There's nothing on her page that I noticed that talks about religion. My guess is that she has indeed left the church entirely and does not care for it, but it doesn't appear to be something that is part of her FB discourse.

Then again, I am friends with local apostates who have strong negative feelings towards the church, and you wouldn't necessarily pick that up on FB. Other than some of the posts and things that they "like".

But it doesn't really matter. She could be someone that trolls on an ex-mormon site all day, or she should merely be someone that didn't really like the culture she grew up with and decided to get out.

I have had my moments too, of not always feeling like I fit in. But here I am.
Or, she could feel a vacuum again. Never burn bridges unnecessarily.

It raises the question, do LDS befriend somebody because they actually enjoy that person's company or merely because they are or might become part of the tribe. There is a huge element, in light of proselytizing efforts, of befriending to convert.

If she was a worthwhile person, then she should still be a worthwhile person.