Thread: BYU vs. Utah
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

quick hits:

1. Lack of a good interior play hurt BYU. Poetl didn't do much for Utah But we had no rim protection, piss-poor rebounding, and no punch at all on the offensive end (including put back and layups). For once, I thought Worthington was actually the best post for BYU. Good fundamental D.

2. I think BYU was lucky to be as close as it was. Utah had that horrendous stretch on offense against the BYU zone where they seemed to just stand around and do nothing. Take out that stretch and it's a blowout win for Utah.

3. As I have said before, BYU has a lot of players on the squad, but not a lot of players. Aside from Anson Winder, not much punch.

4. When BYU goes to its small ball lineup, you only have 2 good defenders on the floor. Winder and Collinsworth. Fischer, Haws, and the big o' the moment. It's tough for BYU. There was one moment in the second half, BYU is playing zone, Utah runs a guy across the baseline. Haws doesn't notice. Haws is guarding no one. Guy catches in the corner, "Oh," Haws thinks. "I ought to be playing defense." Swish. Big play, because BYU is was up by 4, that cut it to 1.

5. Hats off to Winder, played a great game.

6. Fischer is proving himself to continue to be a very one-dimensional player. He actually hurt BYU. Didn't take care of the ball, didn't play good defense, and really didn't contribute on offense. Gawd, I miss Jackson Emery. He was so underrated. Emery is 10x the players that Fischer will ever be. Fisher is proving himself to be that prototypical white guy that comes off the bench to park himself on the 3 point line.

7. I'm amused when we run our accountants onto the floor. Halford and Nielsen. Halford is again showing that his unorthodox shot is not good at all. Such poor ability to square up and that weird windup. He misses badly quite often. Nielsen was very aggressive on offense, letting the ball go whenever he had the opportunity. I'm not sure he made any of those shots. Miles Simon the announcer even remarked that they needed to get the ball to Haws after one of those shots. Nielsen can barely run, he's so unathletic. Again, that classic BYU big with little to no athleticism.

This team won't go far due to lack of ability on both ends at the 4 and 5 positions. They did well to be as close as they were. Imagine replacing Haws with an average BYU guard, and how many points BYU would score against Utah. It would not be pretty. Utah has the horses, BYU does not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote