Thread: Church Growth
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #18
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mike's statement gives one pause for thought.

However, conversion is usually tied to feeling something is missing emotionally. The Church fills an obvious or not so obvious emotional vacuum or need. Are you saying people with unsatisfied emotional needs are necessarily mentally ill?

My hope for the Church is for it to learn from Joseph Smith and to innovate so that it can lead rather than follow. My hope may be in vain.

There is amply evidence in the early foundation of the movement that woman could be included in leadership as priestesses. Much social good is achieved to the volunteer spirit, and allowing fifty percent of the race to participate at an equal level would be good for the culture. Currently the slowness in growth appears to be tied to lack of satisfying the needs of swaths of young people, who feel alienated by the social position of the Church.
All I'm saying is that if 10% of Mormon converts over the last 200 years had significant mental illness, it might increase the frequency of certain risk-associated polymorphisms / mutations within the Mormon community.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote