Thread: Moving Hell
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
ryan388

ryan388 is on a distinguished road

I apologize for coming to this thread late (really late), but I chuckled as I read about Mike’s agonizing moving escapades.

Years ago it fell to me to assist incoming and outgoing members. Since our elder’s quorum president was habitually unavailable, I became the go-to guy, the bishop or 2nd counselor routinely calling on me (chiefly on weekends) to move fellow members from point A to point B. My wife seldom saw me on Saturdays for months on end.

At first I relished the “helpful Elder” shtick, serving those who couldn't help themselves. But it soon became clear many of these “deprived” members were using us to duck moving costs (though they could have paid). Didn't matter that we volunteers had our own families and obligations. You needed help? No problem. Call the elders. No charge!

I remember the last member I helped. The bishop’s counselor was as frustrated as I was (since we were the only guys who showed up, and this sister had conveniently neglected to pack her belongings). So we dutifully sorted her stuff, boxed it all, and then sweated and huffed as we manhandled every stick of her furniture from the old apartment to her new one. Sister Johnson was grateful for the help, I’m sure; but Brother Tildman and I didn't share her enthusiasm.

Odd thing … following that move neither the bishop nor Brother Tildman requested the quorum’s assistance again. Receiving legitimate help was one thing; taking unjustifiable advantage of it was another.
ryan388 is offline   Reply With Quote