View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
My sister in law is Born Again so we've had plenty of opportunities to discuss differences in our beliefs. She has finally settled down where it isn't a fight, but an actual exchange of ideas.

The sense I get from her and others I have come into contact with is that their belief system is the only prism through which they view the world. It's a pretty restrictive prism, hence I don't think they have the capacity to come at an issue or problem any other way. Aside from issue-driven movements (abortion or gay marriage for example), I don't think they involve themselves that much with politics. Sure, the Republican Party can mobilize them at election time over these issues, but I don't see much discourse beyond that.

I was shocked when talking with my sister-in-law about possible job postings and when Saudi Arabia came up, her response was, "That's a godless nation!" In other words, our god is god and there is only one way to worship him. All else is folly.
I thought Mormons were like that. Wow; much HAS changed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote