View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Lieberman down by 13 points

I haven't been following this and don't know much about Connecticut politics, but I am curious. Lieberman says that he will run as an independent if he loses the primary, which appears like a done deal. If he does, what does that do to the race? Normally, two Democrats running in a general election would help the Republican. Is such the case here? Is there a viable Republican candidate? Or are they offering up some crazy Alan Keys clone?

According to the article, Democrats are saying they will support the party's nominee. If so, how much pressure will be applied to keep Lieberman from running as an independent? Are Democrats cutting off their noses to spite their faces?

Nonetheless, as with its counterpart on the other side of the aisle, it looks like the Moderate Democrat is increasingly becoming an endangered species.
Not sure why Republicans get up in arms about this. It's clear among the dems that the war is a major issue. If they want to go with the anti-war candidate, so what. What will be interesting will be if Lieberman can still win as an independent, and if that happens, I think it's probably better for the GOP because he won't care about keeping the dems happy on other issues and will be someone the GOP will be able to go with on their side on different things. But in reality Lieberman's voting record isn't as "moderate" as some Republicans think it is. On tax and economic issues he's very much a democrat.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-08-2006 at 06:31 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote