View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alcohol in the home:

Do observant LDS keep alcohol in the home?

If one wishes to be liberal and understanding do you do this to accommodate business partners?

My perspective is not one of a holier than thou perspective, but a pragmatic one.

As an adult I make no issue what my friends do. They may drink or refrain, why the hell should I care. They know I simply don't and am not interested in drinking. I'm no angel and as a youth I did imbibe from time to time, but do not intend to do it again. I like having control and the benefits of inebriation are outweighed by the benefits of sobriety.

In my own home, I have a different mentality. As a youth my family did keep alcohol for entertainment even though nobody in the immediate family imbibed. When I became curious, there was a ready-made stash which nobody inventoried, so I was the talk of the town for some quality bourbon, vodka and whiskey. It was so easy and available.

For that reason alone, I don't wish to make it easy for my curious youth to imbibe. If they later drink despite my lectures of its detriments, that will be that but I am happy to live the life of a teetotaler.