View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Because you're trying to make an apples to oranges comparison so you can say, "Look at those hypocritical Republican SOBs!" You get bogged down in lengthy procedural explanations that ironically illustrate the very point I'm making: it's not the same thing.
You tell me what is the difference then. Shelby, as I said, is the tip of the iceberg. Even if you don't include his recent blanket hold, Republicans have still used the filibuster more than any other Congress in history, and it isn't close. Not holds, not other procedural bars, but the filibuster itself. On top of that, they have used holds. Lots and lots of holds. Shelby's is perhaps the most egregious example but it isn't even close to the only example. If you think holds are functionally different than the filibuster, then fine. You are wrong, but whatever. You don't even need to look at the number of holds to determine that Republicans have filibustered more than any prior Congress in history. Holds are just the icing on the cake. You keep making some point about how holds are technically different than the filibuster while ignoring the fact that the filibuster itself has been employed more by this Congress than ever before (with a full year to go before this Congress is done obstructing).

Quote:
This just makes me laugh. This is such unseemly whining in a Congress with 60 votes. Heck, based on what you're saying, you could have had 99 votes in the Senate, and still claim a right to complain about those damned obstructionist Republicans.

It's a convenient position for you to pretend to be in, but fortunately such lame impotence won't fly with the voters.
Because of the silliness of Senate rules, a party could, in fact, have 99 members and still find itself obstructed by the lone opposing member. It would be quite a bit more difficult (as that one member would have to be on the floor all the time), but it wouldn't be impossible. A very dedicated obstructionist actually could slow Senate work to a grinding halt. The fact that you don't realize that is why you are struggling to understand how 39 (now 40) Republicans can cause so many problems.

Quote:
The original Obama "stimulus" bill is the only major piece of legislation this administration can claim so far. If you want to hang your hat on that lone achievement come November, be my guest. But you may want to check your own liberal blogs to see how happy your side is about it.
Interesting. Are you suggesting I need to feel the same way liberal blogs feel about the issue? Or are you suggesting you agree with liberal blogs? Either way, I am not sure how this is at all relevant. For a decent write-up on the achievements of this Congress, check out Norman Ornstein:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012902516.html

I don't agree with all of his points, but he is spot on about the productivity of the 111th Congress.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote