View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
In that case, NJ and VA were definitely not "national" races.
I disagree. Been a busy day, but I'll try to get you some data as to why later.

Quote:
Um, no. Pelosi has not said that. You should read the rest of her quote. The biggest trouble faced by Pelosi isn't the House, it is the Senate. She has said all along the Senate bill isn't acceptable to the House. The Senate is now in the position of having a hard time amending their bill through regular legislative processes, and Pelosi can't live with what is on the table. So the Senate bill needs to be changed. It hasn't changed yet, so she doesn't have the votes yet. Reconciliation provides the avenue for changing the Senate bill and fixing Pelosi's problem.
Yeah, the House has trouble with the Senate, and the Senate has trouble with the House. We call that bicameral legislation. We also have a method for resolving those problems called conference committees. Unforunately Pelosi decided it would be better to cut backroom deals than work out in the open, so I don't feel a lot of sympathy there.

The only person to blame for House Democrat intransigence is the House leadership. Stop trying to blame others for her woes.

Quote:
As for statements from some House members, their problem is cowardice and stupidity. They are overreacting to the punditry's noise that MA was a referendum on Obama and health care, despite the fact there is zero evidence in support of that contention.
So they're reflexively reactionary idiots who make decisions on what gets said on Fox News rather than the facts? And these are the people you want rewriting the health care system?

Quote:
As for evidence supporting my contention that she lose because she was a lousy candidate:

She started up 30 points. If this was a referendum on Obama or healthcare, there is no possible chance public opinion changed to the tune of 35 points in one month, particularly since polls in MA indicated support overall for the health care bill. She wouldn't have ever had a 30 point lead to start with if this was truly a reaction to Obama or health care.

She went on vacation during the primary and took voters for granted. They didn't appreciate it.

She said multiple stupid things regarding the Red Sox and, while that shouldn't be the basis for anyone's vote, it got her a lot of negative publicity.

Obama still polls very favorably in MA.
That's all mostly true, and I'm not going to disagree that Coakley was a terrible candidate, as was Creigh Deeds. But if you think that's all that was in this race, you're misreading it badly.

Not that I mind, necessarily. Obama says "this is a fight I want to have" ... I say "bring it on." The harder he pushes left, the more the Dems will lose critical elections.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote