View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I've been meaning to tell you, Mike bought Empire Falls because of your rec, and I picked it up a couple weeks ago and couldn't put it down for a couple days. I loved it, definitely character-driven. Thanks for sharing, how do you like his other books?
I'm happy to hear you liked it. A couple of years ago, I loaned my copy to a friend with my recommendation, and she later returned it unread. I saw the HBO production of it before I read it (well done, btw), and at the time I thought "I bet this is a great book." And so it was. I really relate to the small town feeling in it. Reminds my of my own home town in many ways.

I've only read two other Russo novels: Straight Man and Nobody's Fool. If you're not put off by the fact that they're all about middle-aged men trying to navigate their ways through various midlife crises, then you're good. Straight Man is more funny than dramatic. I just like the style of them because they are so rich in character development. I should go back and read others. I have the two latest on my shelf at home but haven't gotten to them yet.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote