View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #39
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Didn't you say a while back that you hadn't followed this area of study at all? Now it appears you are a well-read expert. Interesting....
Hmmm. I think that's my point, isn't it? You can capture essentially the width and breadth of real substance that they put out in almost no time at all.

By the way, I do find it personally offensive, even creepy that FARMS tries to appropriate the Dead Sea scrolls as a means to advancing their agenda. They have added zilch to genuine Dead Sea scrolls research.

Really they've just interfered with honest pursuit of knowledge by many people. I once took one of my sisters in law to the Metropolitan Museum in New York; we went into the specimens from Mesopotamia, relics of literally the first known peoples who organized themselves in cities, had law codes, farmed, etc. Talk about feeling "the spirit"; it's there if you're attuned to it. She had a genuine curiosity about things that I admired. But at an age well over 30 she kept trying to correlate what she saw to what she'd read in the Book of Abraham (Abraham being a native of Ur, after all), FARMS commentaries, etc. I found it supremely annoying, and very sad.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote