View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
The trial for the challenge to Prop. 8, brought by Ted Olson and David Bois (strange bedfellows), begins next week. The trial will be televised -- part of a "pilot" program in the 9th circuit to televise trials. It's actually the product of an impartial district court judge (Vaughan Walker -- a Bush I appointee who has a deep libertarian streak), and a sympathetic Chief Judge of the 9th Circuit (Kozinski, who has publicized his views regarding gay marriage). They want it to be a modern-day "Scopes Trial."

I put the end of the gay marriage debate on the doorstep of the 2012 election -- just about the time this case will work its way to the Supreme Court. Vaughan Walker will rule Prop. 8 violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Federal Constitution, the 9th Circuit will uphold that decision (with a panel made up of Kozinski, Reinhardt, and Berzon), and then it will be before the Supreme Court in an election year cycle. We'll all be forced to discuss it, and then the Supreme Court will rule 5-4 (Kennedy writing, joined by Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Breyer, and Stevens' replacement -- most likely Elena Kagan, a lesbian) that gay marriage is mandated by the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment as applied to the States. End of story; end of the debate. Public referenda and state senate votes be damned. Youth in revolt. Seniors dying. The end is known from the beginning -- right now.
Which the American people will call bullshit on. And the Republic will roil.

Liberals always overreach. And they will set their cause back.

The lady who wrote "Committed" was interviewed on NPR the other day. She said that in Europe, they can't understand why gays would want to be married when they can have civil unions. And that in fact, heterosexual couples have flocked to be civilly unionized instead of married, because they don't want to the "stigma" of marriage.

I think this shows that this is a particularly American debate, it's a power struggle and part of the culture wars, and not about fundamental rights.

I can't wait until Obama is spending his days building houses in Georgia.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote