View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I don't care what the "evangelicals" say. I looked the authors up and I don't see that they're known for anything other than this article. I looked Mosser up on Google and the first thing that came up was a glowing profile on the FARMS web site. Who are these guys? Just "evangelicals?" Needless to say, "evangelicals" are not an intellectual lot.

A major premise of Nibley's and FARMS' work is that native Americans are descendants of Lehi.

Let me ask you this: If they are such world class intellectuals and their scholarship so distinguished, why have Nibley and FARMS folks been confined to this tiny tithing funded think tank? Nobody knows who the hell they are except for Mormons and a couple of evangelicals. If they really were world class, wouldn't they do more good to everyone, not least of all the Church, developing their platform at places like Harvard, Stanford or the University of Chicago (a school with leading anthropology and archeology research programs)? They can't go there because their "scholarship" isn't recognized by intellectuals as legitimate.
They haven't gone to Harvard and the like because of the narrow field of Mormonism doesn't interest those colleges or no Mormon has funded a chair there. Do you think a Mormon funded the first Harvard Hebrew studies chair.

You also no do what you accuse Nibley and FARMS of. As I understand it, FARMS looks at evidence to determine if the limited geography theory is applicable. Nibley would probably accept that concept. Have you read the stuff from the Iceland geneticts program. It's the one that shows a large portion of the now extant Icelanders don't actually exist according to the same type of program analysis that is used to say no Semitic genotypes are found amongst Native Americans? You seem to latch on to the one group of studies that confirm your suspicions and ignore all others.

It's not a question whether you care if something is true or not.

So these lists of persons don't matter according to you. Evangelicals, Mormons, people not at Harvard, Stanford. Anybody's opinion that does matter? Israelis?