View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Are you optimistic about ANYTHING in life? Good grief.

BYU won't lose to AFA. BYU is built to defend the option attack. Even last year, with a defense significantly worse than this defense, BYU held AFA to 24 points (which won't get it done against BYU's offense).

As for Utah, what is it that you and Arch see in the Utes? They aren't very good this year. They are vastly overrated and undertalented at key positions. Their defense is ok, but certainly not what it was last year, and there is a reason they just changed QBs 4/5 of the way through the season. This may be the year BYU beats Utah without having to hold our breath at the end of the game.

BYU isn't a top 10 team, but they are good and appear to me to be heading in the right direction. Bronco is recruiting tremendous talent to BYU and is near the end of plugging gaping holes in the team with average JUCO talent. He has a two year recruiting delay that nobody else in the nation has to deal with, including Whit. The talent and speed is increasing year to year. Next year will be bumpy with a new QB (although 10 wins wouldn't shock me, I would expect 8 as a decent bar to hope for), but 2011 and beyond could be stellar.

For this year, a win over the Utes plus continued TCU domination will make me very happy. TCU has a decent chance at the national title game and few people are noticing. Florida and Alabama aren't clearly superior to TCU, and neither is Texas. Based on resume alone, TCU should be in the title game before Texas (tell me- who has Texas played? Including in conference?). TCU's wins over Clemson (road), BYU (road) AFA (road) and Utah (home) are better than anything Texas has accomplished. Alabama's schedule is awful and will only look decent at the end because they will play Florida. Florida's schedule is also nothing to brag about.

One of Alabama and Florida must lose. That leaves Texas and one SEC school TCU must beat out for a spot. Texas shouldn't lose in the regular season, but they may lose to Nebraska in the Big 12 championship (Nebraska is starting to play better on offense, and their defense is spectacular at times). Florida could lose to Florida State who is exceptional when they want to be, which appears to happen in really big games for them and not otherwise. Bama could lose to Auburn as well. If so, TCU would be in the title game, and there is a strong argument they are the best team in college football this year.
Utah is not perfect by a long shot, I'll agree.

But Utah has more talent on defense, right now, during a bad year for them, than BYU has ever had. Robert Johnson is talented, and some of the linemen are as well.

This team for BYU is the least talented team BYU has had in a long time. Our defensive linemen do not penetrate or get a good push, our linebackers are subpar for BYU, they're slow, don't cover and rarely lay a hit. The dbs are okay, below our best but better than our worst.

The offense hiccups against UNM, a team that is 0 and 10. Yes that's no typo.

Where is Bronco improving the gaps in our talent?

I saw TCU play several times and TCU's speed is otherworldly. I am so jealous.