View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #43
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I really wanted to respond to this thread but it grew too fast, so pardon me for interrupting. (Though, it is nice to see a thread this long here. It's been awhile.)

1. The more educated a woman is the more knowledge she can pass on to her children. Certainly uneducated women can make good moms. No one gets degrees in patience, love, understanding or kindness, which are ultimately more important than being able to help with Algebra homework. You can be highly educated and a crappy mom. But children with mothers who value learning and education are more likely to succeed in school and probably in life.

2. As a SAHM, I feel like my role is important and a worthy aspiration. I feel like SAHMs are diminished on this board when this topic comes up, as if what we offer has no value.

3. If my daughter aspires to become a SAHM one day, I would still encourage her to get as much education and job skills as possible until that day comes. Most women will have to work to support themselves for at least a fair chunk of their adult life whether they want to or not. Those who opt out of education because they only plan to become a SAHM will find themselves working nights at Walmart. Those with education and job skills will have more opportunities for better jobs, pay, hours, etc. Those moms with education and job experience will have more power to finagle working remotely from home, working part time and other family-friendly options.

4. I believe that homemaking and breadwinning are the responsibilities of both parents. Fathers can make fine homemakers. Mothers can make fine breadwinners. Both parents should be confident and capable doing either task. It is ridiculous that he was out delivering pizzas when she had a law degree. Though it is not surprising. It is a prevailing attitude that the man must work and the woman must stay at home, even when the family would be better served if the roles were reversed.

Last edited by marsupial; 05-14-2009 at 01:05 AM.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote