Thread: illegitimacy
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I haven't read the article, but I have a hard time believing that illegitimacy isn't a major social problem. How many black kids in America are raised by a single parent? 70%?

How many kids don't have a father?

The LDS church, by its nature, I think is uncomfortable in social intervention in society at large, unlike some churches.
The article certainly does NOT argue that it's not a social problem. What I was saying is that illegitimacy doesn't have the same stigma that it used to. See grapevine's brief discussion of the bastard child.

I also don't dispute that there are sometimes great social costs, particularly when we're talking teen pregnancy. But we don't find it so shocking as we used to.

I'm also not sure the LDS church has to make social interventions. But what about some social commentary on the topic. Do we address the social costs of teen pregnancy among our teens, for example? (which I would do sans the example of Bristol Palin, as I suggested above).

Have you ever heard of the Charles Crittendon Mission? I did a research paper about this organization at one point, and it was fascinating to read about the evolition of that mission, a religious one, which went from trying to save prostitutes to trying to save teen mothers, to trying to get babies from teen mothers for adoptive parents, to basically nothing.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote