View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #112
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Your flippant response masks a truly important question for LDS members today. Is it de facto inappropriate to believe that the prophet has personal flaws? Is it ever appropriate to question the prophet?

These issues get to the sentiment that many Mormons, including yourself, believe the prophet to be infallible, and any criticism or question of the prophet or his motives must be a sin.
Total non sequitur. Prophetic infallibility is not even in the same solar system with this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And again you bounce back to the sentiment that there are only 12 individuals that the Lord would find acceptable to serve in the 12 right now. You are starting to argue with yourself, Glen.

The 12 men who have been called are, I am sure, acceptable to God. That says nothing about whether or not they are the only ones who are acceptable, nor does it suggest that God will actively require the prophet to call a minority to the ranks of apostleship. It is odd that you accept all of the following:

1. God follows a granular, non-interventionist policy most of the time;
2. God prefers that his children work through issues and then ask Him for confirmation rather than giving them information up front;
3. There are many names that could be presented to God for apostleship which He would confirm, if they were presented, and some of them are minorities;

but that you cannot accept:

4. The issue with the lack of minorities being called to apostleship may have absolutely nothing to do with God, but may more reflect prejudices, intentional or otherwise, of the prophet in selecting those for apostleship.
I will consider #4 when there is some reasonable evidence worth considering. "But there's no minority apostles" is insufficient. I prefer to give the prophet the benefit of the doubt.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote