Thread: Neal Andersen
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Begs the question, what would Joseph think of the church as constituted?

An interesting thought came to mind while I was in the Draper temple, our leadership is willing to go to the ends of the earth to find the best products to construct our edifices of worship. Limestone from France, granite from China, cherry wood from West Africa, yet our human resources are centralized to people who attended Utah or BYU.

I thought Elder Andersen's quote was telling, 'I could have given 5 or 6 names,' when talking of international mormon's qualified for the post. Five or six our of the seven million foreign born and bred saints. Wowzers.
In terms of a big organization, except for a few major decisions, the top, being so distant from the body doesn't really matter.

Obama matters insofar as he increases taxes on the lowly taxpayer, impairs our healthcare, takes away our right to self defense, or sends our children to war, but his daily life is irrelevant most of the time.

The Prophet has less daily impact because he's not raising tithing rates, doesn't meet with us, and isn't lengthening missions.

To the extent he implements a Perpetual Education Fund, alters policy at Church schools or changes a policy, he affects us, otherwise, he tries with nice talks to soften our hearts to do good.

I just don't think the high level administrators impact most of us most of the time. So I'll stop worrying or caring who's at the top because they will rarely impact me. The top folk are symbols, but I can find my own symbols and shouldn't look for them in other people or in an organization. I'll just enjoy the local leaders because those are they who interact with us.