View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If you're trying to argue that LDS members so-called "blindly" following their church leaders in the rare instances those leaders actually advocate a political position is a slippery slope that can/will eventually lead to Holocaust-style atrocities ... I will most likely laugh in your face and not take you the least bit seriously.

Not really different from any other time, I guess.
Tex, I think most people today would not consider it a good thing to blindly follow a religious cleric's directive. The mischeif that can follow from that type of thing is demonstrable and historically well documented. I'm glad you admit that that's what was going on here and that's what happens with most LDS members all the time. The biggest protection we have agaisnt a slippery slope leading to Holocaust-type atrocities is not the character of any religious cleric in America but our Constitution and secular ethos. I don't think I'm being controversial or going out on a limb in saying that.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote