Thread: Family size
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Interesting that you see a legacy as linked solely to genetics. When my mom died, people talked a lot about her legacy, which was limited to her children, of course. I get that, but I still thought it was a little sad. I like to think most people have more in them than that.

ANd now that Mormons have 4 kids instead of 8 or 12, I guess the future for us looks grim as well. . .
outside of your family and close friends, what is your legacy?

I don't kid myself that my work is all that important to many people. And people have open access to my work product, unlike a lot of people.

What's so damn important about most of our jobs anyway? You think a corporate lawyer making a ton of money in the bay area isn't instantly replaceable, for example? Hell, if we all wrote a novel, it would be a question mark whether our own children would even read it. Much less care.

Or perhaps, for some, their legacy will be the nice vacations and travel they experienced. And the resultant flickr photos, and the trinkets that are carted to the local goodwill/DI/fleamarket when you die.

What makes you think that your legacy will be/is more than your mother's? If she served others more than you end up serving others, then I would venture her legacy will be greater.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote