View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
First, this isn't a "trade cycle" we are going through. Second, from what I have gleaned (I certainly haven't gone through this thing line by line), most of the spending is targeted for rapid release. A construction project has a fixed beginning and a fixed end, for example, and while it is going on, thousands of people remain employed, receiving regular paychecks.

At least based on Tex's post (where he cited "egregious" examples), this isn't a "social program" bill. Construction of the Department of Homeland Security. Purchase of furniture. Sewage treatment improvements. Funding for fire stations. Funding for canal inspection. These are exactly the types of projects Keynes would have approved of.

Once again, it is debatable if these expenses are the BEST way to stimulate the economy, but I don't see much of a debate that they WILL stimulate the economy (which is what Tex disputes).
Don't forget birth control. Oh wait, they removed that one after everyone except Pelosi realized it was baloney.

In the end, you're probably right that some of this would have met with Keynes' approval. Maybe what you're not understanding is I don't agree with Keynesian economics.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote