View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #37
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The easiest answer to this question is that his presidency just ended a few hours ago. The wisdom or folly of at least some of what he did is not always immediately evident.

I know the Truman comparison is overused, but we really could imagine this exact same conversation taking place on January 20, 1953.
Truman wasn't exactly a great president, even if he had a few folksy quotes. Are you saying history views Truman more favorably than it did at the time? I agree, but he's not exactly heralded as the coming Messiah either.

Bush may, if everything turns out well, rise to mediocre. But he failed us financially, he botched the good will of 9/11, engaged in another endless war, forfeited civil liberties, rose spending atrociously, gave us increased governmental health care expenditures, abrogated any good will we had in the world, and basically unraveled the Republican Party. I can't imagine any list of accomplishments overcoming those list of atrocities.

I don't find his abrogation of institutional walls in fighting "terror" an accomplishment, btw.