View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
U's fan base is growing nicely with rowdy blue-collar fans and good LDS fans in their historic proportions. In my 95% LDS neighborhood Ute fans outnumber Y fans 10-to-1.

Be yourself at the U, as a student, parent, fan, financial supporter. No pretense, no narcs.
This is an excellent point. Waters says that the Utes have a tiny fan base. I'd like to test that propostion. I've seen here in Washington that the Huskies have many fans outside students and alumni. It's the community team, and has a lot of blue collar support, etc. This seems it could be especially true in a market like SLC with no pro team. Utah is and can be the alternative to BYU. Utah's real team.

Utah has 27,000 students, roughly the same as BYU, and there are millions of people in Utah unaffiliated with BYU. But Utah has a tradition that bascially goes back to 1994, or, even, 2003. I bet Utah has a larger fan base than people think. If they make a BCS bowl a near annual tradition (not unattainable in the MWC) the fan base will become more evident.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote