Thread: *When I die
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
That's the problem with the Greeks. Actually, the Greeks didn't have the problem, it's pop interpretations of the Greeks (like yours) that have the problems -- imprecision and a smothering of ideas by trying to smooth out the difficulties by throwing everything in one box -- God.
NO. The problem is you importing the McDonald's of religions/Mormonism into a view of God expressed by an ancient Greek philosoher. The quotation perfectly sums up the gnostic/McCarthy view of God, and is really the only answer to the problem of evil. Maybe we had to experience bigotry to reach enlightenment on the races. I can't fathom any other path. Maybe life is precious and time is vital because it can all end violently and unjustly. I got the quote from this book.

http://www.amazon.com/There-Somethin...9013563&sr=1-1

According to the author, reputed to be the leading historian of philosophy in the world, Waters' reading is correct. Of course it is; this isn't that tough unless you're trying to reconcile it with your Christian dogma.

But ultimately, there has not been an original thought in Western metaphysics since ancient Greece. It's all a footnote to Plato, et al., including Christianity. Even the symbolism of Christ and the atonement are reused.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote