Thread: A Call to Arms
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've said what my belief is: weapons that a militia-person in the military would have (i.e. M16).
Ie, weapons stored in the armory? Small, trailered artillery - ie, behind a 2 ton truck? (I'm thinking Guard here.)

Quote:
I'm not aware of a major gun lobby that advocated private ownership of tanks or intercontinental ballistic missiles as part of the 2nd amendment. Maybe you could point them out to me.
I can't find one any, either. However, for the sake of argument, any major gun lobby would be foolhardy to advocate such a position. Why wouldn't 2nd Amendment purists secretly (as need be) hold much more aggressive views? The F-16s and tanks example is a hyperbolic extension of stated, apparently isolated, views.

To the extent we used to see informal militias (ie, "Montana Militia") - now let off the militia hook by Heller - out on the desert, operating machine guns, why wouldn't common citizens be worried that these fanatics might be assembling impressive arsenals (individually, this time)? It's not as though getting flame-throwers and grenade launchers is impossible, out on the black market.

"If grenade launchers are outlawed..."

:j
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote