View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #40
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And your article was so overwhelming. If you aren't aware of this anecdotal evidence, then why discuss it.
My anecdotal evidence is different than yours. The first homeschoolers I knew followed the typical stereotype quite closely - very strange and backwards family in many respects, the children were very sheltered and tightly controlled. As the kids grew up, several of them freaked out and became very rebellious and wild.

Understandably, I didn't think much of home schooling for a long time because of this first impression.

But I have changed my viewpoint quite a bit as I have observed and examined the issue over the years. I didn't just take my first impression and let it guide my opinion for the rest of my life.

I have definitely seen a mixed bag in terms of results, as mentioned before. But I have seen some families use home schooling very effectively, and some of the most impressive kids I've known are products of home schools. I think home schooling, properly done, can provide a child with a far superior education to most public schools, and they don't have to turn out weird or backwards. Unfortunately, some do, but some kids come out of public schools pretty messed up, too.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote