View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I have no beef, in theory, with home schooling, and I am aware of several people similar to those that minn_stat mentions. Having said that, I have also known home schooled kids, who seemed intelligent, who could barely read when they were 10 years old.

I think it is clear that many of us react to the motivations of LDS home school parents. Maybe I am simplifying, but in my experience, very many LDS parents who home school are not doing so to give their child a better education, but instead to give them a more moral education. They are upset that the schools are too liberal, or that the schools teach evolution, or sex ed, or that they read a book that talks about breasts, or something like that. They are much more concerned with shielding than in enriching or educating.
I actually wasn't trying to debate homeschooling and it's place in the world, which I don't have strong opinions about (so my topic was a bit misleading). I was more shocked at what those kids are being taught at home. Or confused, I guess. They are smart kids, and in this particular family they are homeschooled because after sending their oldest to kindergarten, the mother decided she could do it better.

Yes, I'm sure many people know perfectly wonderful, smart, well adjusted children who have been homeschooled.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote