View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default My money is on Utah to beat the line

I realize, from the feel of my palsied fingers as I type this, that I'm a little superstitious. Imagine that. Me of all people. But I soldier on. Telling myself that surely this post could not affect the outcome of the game. Here's why I think Utah wins by more than six and a half.

--Superior defense. I think seven out of ten times the better defense carries the day. Utah held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes.

--Utah's offense is super athletic and diverse. It's also a lot better than Utah or BYU fans give it credit for. Brian Johnson has a dazzling array of weapons in his backfield and receiving corps, and BJ is a tough cookie. Admittely, BYU has the brighter stars on offense.

--Utah has the home field. This means less when the schools are geographically so close. But it is an edge to Utah.

--Whittingham the motivator. I've never seen a coach who can affect his players' mental and emotional state like Whit. Utah held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes after trailing 10-0 after nine minutes.

--Psychological factors are even. Utah has no reason not to totally fear and respect BYU. These past few weeks are the only games I can think of since the BYU-New Mexico basketball game in 1978 I've rooted for BYU. Yes, I want the Utes to have as great a BCS qualifying resume as possible. But I didn't want BYU to have a nothing to lose attitude going in. In some ways, it's the Utes who go in as the chip on the shoulder upstarts. But the stakes are high as Everest for each team and coach.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-19-2008 at 11:11 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote