View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
"Being gay is always a choice" or "Being gay is always inborn and immutable." Clearly neither of these statements would be correct for multiple choice test purposes and I suspect that neither of these choices is correct in the real world either.

For what percentage of gay people must gayness by immutable for you to believe that gay people deserve the right to marry? Just curious.
Immutability of sexual preference is just something I know based on the most basic common sense, which I've described. I think the burden is on the anti-gay marriage people to prove to me sexual preference is a choice. I don't need studies or percentages. I just know.

I think if two consenting adults are in romantic love and want to get married that's good enough for me in terms of proof of immutability as the record now stands. The romantic urge runs deep, and may be what makes all the blood sweat and tears worthwhile in the end. I think that is what they are.

Let me clarify. If it were not an immutable characteristic (which I can't fathom, like I can't fathom nothingness) I might support gay marriage for some of the public policy reasons stated here. But if it's not immutable it's not a civil rights issue and I become close to indifferent about the issue. If it's a choice, marriage is not foreclosed. They can marry someone of opposite gender. If it's a choice, I think there does exist a principled distinction on which to deny marriage to gays. Civil rights is about immutability.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote