View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I challenge anti-gay marriage folks like Tex and LA Ute to convince me that being gay is a choice. If it is, I grant you your gay marriage ban. On the other hand, gay marriage proponents must make immutability the crux of their case. This is where their moral authority derives. Being gay is not a choice.

I don't believe it's a choice, and the reason is simple. It is two fold: First, Why would someone choose to be gay? Why would someone choose to be hated by at least half the world, indcluding their own families and churches, and a life of rejection and isolation? Second, I didn't choose to be heterosexual. Based on my persona experience I can't fathom sexual perference being a choice (even for bisexuals it's not a choice).

You anti-gay marriage folks, show me I'm wrong. My mind is open.

P.S., I'm not interested in arguments that immutability is not the issue. The way I see it, people who argue this way are just conceding my second point but still looking for a rationalization for discriminating against gays.
"Being gay is always a choice" or "Being gay is always inborn and immutable." Clearly neither of these statements would be correct for multiple choice test purposes and I suspect that neither of these choices is correct in the real world either.

For what percentage of gay people must gayness by immutable for you to believe that gay people deserve the right to marry? Just curious.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote