View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Immutability is not the issue, at least not the sole one, nor is the presence of a "gay" gene. For one, there are examples of people who have "switched teams", so it's not 100% immutable. For another, no matter how you slice it, even if one is gay, whether they have gay sex or marry is really up to them. An alcoholic may be predisposed to drink, but that doesn't require us to ignore the consequences that may result.

I'm playing devil's advocate here as I suspect we agree on Prop 8. I also agree that in the vast majority of cases, being gay was not a choice. I can't imagine going through a life without being able to express my sexuality. However, these arguments are going to ring rather hollow with a group of people who revere Sherri Dew.

The two reasons behind my opposition to Prop 8 are:
1) The awarding of benefits in society is a secular not a moral issue. Religious arguments (and organizations) have no place in this debate.
2) From a secular point of view, gay couples in committed relationships benefit society more than gay couples in uncommitted relationships.

Nothing to do with immutability.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote