View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #34
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
While I'm amused by Triplet's attempt to make this about him, if we could get back to the point here ...

Cardiac, I understand that gays are upset. If I were a homosexual who wanted gay marriage legitimized, I would be upset too. Except for a few jerks here on CG, I legitimately don't enjoy pissing people off.

But just because they're angry doesn't mean they're right. And just because I disagree with them doesn't mean I'm a bigot. That's the underlying thread through all the discussions on this topic I've had with folks on your side. You simply can't stomach the idea that any rational, compassionate, intelligent, non-bigoted person could possibly be against it. So to fill this cognitive vacuum, you deduce that we are all less rational, less compassionate, less intelligent, and or more bigoted than you.

It's a nice fantasy, I suppose, but it doesn't reflect reality.
I'm not calling anybody a bigot. I don't doubt your intelligence.

I think you're just wrong on this issue. Let's talk about "normalization" of homosexuality. What are the consequences of normalization of gayness for Mormon youth who are "struggling with same sex attraction" (to use your favored terminology)?

If being gay is considered an abnormal perversion, a youth with SSA will likely feel that his SSA is his fault -- the result of sin. He will not reveal his SSA to anybody and will likely lie about his orientation. He is more likely to commit suicide. He may even get married to a woman in a misguided attempt to change his orientation, eventually leaving in his wake a confused and shattered family. If his parents consider their gay son a pervert, they may disown their son. They may end up blaming themselves and feeling that God condemns their child and family and may have tremendous accompanying guilt related to this.

In my mind, these are a few of the fruits of your approach: A false understanding of the etiology of homosexuality, lying, guilt, suicide, and broken families.

If being gay is normalized, a youth with SSA will understand that this isn't his fault or the result of sin. He will be more likely to tell his parents and Church leaders about his SSA and receive needed explanation and reassurance that he shouldn't feel guilty. He will know he's not alone and will not need to lie. He will be less likely to commit suicide (IMO). His parents won't disown their son for being gay. He will be free to make a rational, informed decision to stay in the Church as a celibate person or to leave the Church. He won't marry a woman. (Interesting that normalization of homosexuality would make following this Church advice much more likely).

A few fruits of normalizing homosexuality: A true understanding of the etiology of homosexuality, honesty, truth, and intact families.

That's the way I see it. It doesn't mean I think I'm more intelligent or less bigoted than you. I just think it's the truth.

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 11-11-2008 at 10:18 PM.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote