View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
yeah. reading David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism (did i get the title right?) -- made me better understand how inter-Quorum politics work, and the way that one or two stubborn old men can forestall progress, even revelatory progress. of course, in this instance, we have a case of most of the 12 + 3 -- rather than just a handful -- being immovable. 1978 came a long time after, say, the armed forces were integrated. gays in the military may precede any acceptance of gays in the pews. and i think the former 5-10 years away.
While I'm not sure I fully agree with your characterization of those events, I do agree that God seems to raise up the right men for the right times. When his his intention came to have the ban removed, he raised up men who would do it, who lived in a time when it could be done.

I'm not sure what this means for the gay issue, though. The doctrinal questions are so much more difficult. One thing is certain: no one seems to think it's going away.

If the day comes that 30 states' laws are reversed, by whatever means, it may be that the church ends up being one of the last institutions standing who don't concede. That could be a very difficult day. Hopefully God raises up men equal to the challenge.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote