View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
i think that may come with time.

Currently, celibate open gays likely feel very uncomfortable at church.

For example, many folks believe that gays are pedophiles. How would you feel sitting in the pew knowing that many looked at you that way?

I think that is part of the mixed messages we send. "We love you, also your lifestyle is an abomination" That sort of thing. There is no easy answer. if someone on your mission were to have said, "hey, I think Mormons are cool, I just think they are going to hell," it kind of waters down the original statement a bit.

My guess is that in another generation or two, gay will be more mainstream within the Church.....that is to say, not everyone will be assuming that gays molest kids, that gays have AIDS, etc....it takes time to break down the stereotypes. Just like with blacks. I am not saying homosexuality will no longer be considered a sin, but that gays will continue to increase their levels of socialization amongst us and we will all realize that most of these folks are not sex-addicted promiscuous predators.

As with race and gender, there will still be those that, in 20 years, still won't have anything more of value to add to the conversation beyond "but it is a sin!" yawn. we have already covered that point, thanks.
I agree with you, but I think it points to issues within our culture bigger than just gays. The 40 year old divorcee feels pretty darn uncomfortable at church too (especially if they are childless). I realize it's not the same but you get my point ...