View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #138
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Ok, I went to the Church's website and this is what I found:

"PUBLIC AFFAIRS: You’re saying the Church doesn’t necessarily have a position on ‘nurture or nature’

"ELDER OAKS: That’s where our doctrine comes into play. The Church does not have a position on the causes of any of these susceptibilities or inclinations, including those related to same-gender attraction. Those are scientific questions — whether nature or nurture — those are things the Church doesn’t have a position on.

"ELDER WICKMAN: Whether it is nature or nurture really begs the important question, and a preoccupation with nature or nurture can, it seems to me, lead someone astray from the principles that Elder Oaks has been describing here. Why somebody has a same-gender attraction… who can say? But what matters is the fact that we know we can control how we behave, and it is behavior which is important."

According to the above comments, then it appears to me that the church has no position. Whether that is a change from a prior stance, I do not know. And it really should not matter, if you are of the belief that as individual Church members we should make our own choices and not blindly follow dictates from SLC. Given the Church's current position, then I believe it would be difficult for anyone to label me a sheep...My position is that being gay is a lifestyle choice. A choice that is influenced by many factors that may include standards, environment, etc...My position has come about as a result of the experiences I have had in my life. What a wonderful thing to excercise free agency and have the ability to think for myself and make decisions. You may disagree with my position, but, you would be hard pressed to label me an ingnoramus based on the limited posts I have made in this forum. I am not an uneducated moron with limited life experiences. I am not a bigot or intolerant, I just happen to agree with supporters of prop 8. Tuesday's victory was not hollow, it was a victory for those of us that believe that marriage is ordained of God and is to be only between a man and a woman.
bullshit. by saying that same gender attraction is "behavior" they are, in my opinion, implying that it is nurture. i am sick of passive aggressive responses from the church on this issue.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote