View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
You know, I'm right here in the room, Tex. Feel free to talk to, not at.
Sorry, I didn't meant to. ER retreated behind your apron, so I just answered it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
You may be right. Like I said, many of the people that I've spoken with may have voted "yes" regardless of the church's public stance.

I can only go on my own experience and the experiences of those I know with more than weak finger on the pulse of the voters in CA. I was up well past midnight the two nights leading up to the election talking on the phone with members of my own family discussing exactly this issue. You're going to have to trust me, the basis for their reasoning for voting "Yes" was little more than "The Prophet said to. We follow the Prophet". And these are well-educated, well-informed people.

Perhaps my experiences were different than others here on the board. But I live in a fairly "normal" LDS ward and my family members also live in strong LDS communities.
No, you're probably right that there were some who were wholly opposed (or indifferent) except for the prophet's call. And I'm not sure that by itself, that counts as "cultish" behavior anyway. If these are well-educated, well-informed people, they have clearly made a decision to trust the judgment of someone they respect.

What I recoil from is this notion that Mormons are lemmings who just brainlessly do what they're told, and I really get chapped at members who appear to embrace that caricature.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote