View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
On the other hand, one facet I find intolerable about Mormonism is its cavalier dismissal of religious history and experience outside Mormonism, and Mormons' debt to it in just about every way you can think of.

Quote:
Wycliffe was denounced as a heretic and treated accordingly. After he died and was buried, his bones were dug up and burned. But God’s work could not be stopped. ...

Tyndale, enlightened by the Spirit of God ...

We express gratitude to all who lived in England and throughout Europe who helped kindle that light.
- Elder Robert D. Hales, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Oct 2005 Conference

Quote:
We owe much to the many brave martyrs and reformers like Martin Luther, John Calvin, and John Huss who demanded freedom to worship and common access to the holy books...

Because of the efforts of the reformers, “the Bible became a household possession. The word of God was read around the family fireside of the lowly as well as the parlors of the great” (John A. Widtsoe, in Conference Report, Apr. 1939, 20).
- Elder M. Russell Ballard, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, April 2007 Conference

Quote:
In due time honest men with yearning hearts, at the peril of their very lives, attempted to establish points of reference, that they might find the true way. The day of the Reformation was dawning, but the path ahead was difficult. Persecutions would be severe, personal sacrifice overwhelming, and the cost beyond calculation. The reformers were pioneers, blazing wilderness trails in a desperate search for those lost points of reference which, they felt, when found would lead mankind back to the truth Jesus taught.

John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, Jan Hus, Zwingli, Knox, Calvin, and Tyndale all pioneered the period of the Reformation. Significant was the declaration of Tyndale to his critics: “I will cause a boy that driveth the plough shall know more of the scripture than thou doest.”

Such were the teachings and lives of the great reformers. Their deeds were heroic, their contributions many, their sacrifices great ...
- Thomas S. Monson, First Presidency, April 1997 Conference

I could go on, but you can Google as easily as I ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote