View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
If prop 8 passes, however, I think this example of the no on prop 8 efforts will be emblematic of why. The Yes on prop 8 efforts have been very systematic and surprisingly efficient (surprising to me, anyway). They have gathered like minded persons in a coalition, have through very basic grass roots efforts obtained info about potential voters in specific precincts and are now focused on trying to get out the vote among those who suport or are likely to support the measure. It is boring, and difficult and not very showy, but it is a time-tested way to win elections. No one has been sent by the coalition to stand outside a gay marriage ceremony and wave signs and shout at the particiapnts. What would be the point? Protesting by the temple might feel good, and it is certainly easy, but in the end my guess is it is very ineffective in terms of actually winning the election.
I agree with this. The protestors actions aren't likely to be highly effective, except to the extent Mormons are intimidated and then stop promoting Prop 8 to the same extent as prior to the intimidation (which may be their goal). Regardless of whether or not the protestors acts are effective, however, they are certainly defensible (so long as they are legal assemblies and not violent).

From the perspective of the protestors, the people going into the temple aren't sweet old ladies heading off to worship. They are part of the political machine fighting against something the protestors hold dear.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote